RAD Torque Systems (RAD) started in owner Dan Provost’s garage in 1994, where Dan built a lighter, more durable torque wrench for industrial applications. Now, over 25 years later, RAD is the leader in pistol-grip torque wrenches for industrial use and has grown from Dan’s garage to a large multi-building manufacturing facility in Abbotsford, BC. When RAD first contacted Bellrock in 2018, they were in another growth phase and were looking for help organizing the business from the top down. Challenged by an ever-increasing backorder list and a lack of space, as well as frustrations with organizational design, RAD was looking for a fresh perspective.
Faced with mounting pressure from customers and distributors to get orders out and improve communication, the leadership at RAD wanted to change things for the better as quickly as possible. On top of the growing orders, steel tariffs had increased raw material costs and third-party work was coming back with inconsistent quality, forcing more re-work inhouse. Additionally, staff were looking to grow their careers at RAD and wanted some guidance. Among solving these challenges, the leadership’s goals included:
- Defining roles and clarifying duties of the management team.
- Upskilling key staff through management training.
- Improving the motivation and satisfaction of all employees.
- Increasing sales in a controllable manner.
- Creating structure and efficiency in the engineering department.
Bellrock worked alongside RAD for a full year. Together we:
- Developed a strategic plan, including defining, documenting, and communicating RAD’s vision and values.
- Redesigned the organizational structure to reflect the growing company’s needs and identified gaps in the management structure. From there we aided in recruiting and onboarding new members of the executive team to fill those gaps.
- Implemented job descriptions and a performance management system for all staff.
- Documented the main processes in the company including accounting, manufacturing, and shipping, and used that information to prioritize procedures to document.
- Worked with management to reinforce a new set of meeting rhythms including regular departmental meetings, morning huddles, and strategic meetings at the management level.
Results – 1.5 Years Later
- Sales are up 30% year over year.
- The new executive team has been a crucial part of managing growth.
- Staff have their roles and responsibilities clearly defined and are getting regular feedback.
- Based on the process flow work and sales growth, RAD identified the need to move into a single, 60,000 square foot facility in 2020.