In 2014, Scott Ebner recognized an opportunity in the Alberta, Canada market to provide complete substation service including construction, retrofitting, and commissioning. He broke with his previous business partner and Iconic Power Systems was born. The business was successful out of the gate until a significant market downturn caused the industry to flag. Instead of contracting, Scott took the bold move of recruiting top leaders in the industry to prepare for an eventual turnaround. He had his eye on rapid growth throughout Western Canada. One of his frustrations was the difficulty to measure performance in his organization. After attending a TEC Canada workshop that Tara Landes offered on benchmarking business performance, Scott engaged Bellrock to perform an analysis to identify areas of strength and weakness and develop a roadmap to his goals.
Over a period of roughly two weeks, Bellrock investigated Iconic’s current systems and processes, met with leaders and staff, and surveyed the employees and clients to see what was working, what wasn’t, and where there was room to improve. Going into the analysis, the leadership’s goals for the company were to:
- Identify the necessary processes and procedures to win the competitive bids they wanted.
- Gain alignment for the whole company on its vision and values.
- Diversify Iconic’s services.
- Develop a high-performance team.
Bellrock built a roadmap for Iconic to achieve these goals and the leadership team agreed to engage in the changes needed to propel the business forward.
Over a period of eight months, Bellrock worked with the leadership and key staff at Iconic to implement the changes discussed in the analysis. Together we:
- Defined the strategic goals, values, purpose, and BHAG of the organization during quarterly strategic planning sessions. Leadership was engaged to execute on the action plans developed to hit the goals.
- Implemented a quality management system, documenting the key processes at Iconic and ensuring sufficient procedural documentation was in place to support the staff.
- Created a robust organizational structure with an eye to growth and set explicit expectations and performance measures via job descriptions. A performance evaluation system was also implemented.
- Developed and trained the communication systems to maintain alignment and accountability, including weekly tactical and daily huddle meetings.
- Implemented regular project meetings to increase redundant communication and capture key project information throughout. This included project kickoffs and project after-action meetings.
Results – 1.5 years later
- Revenue increased 250% from 2017 and profit is holding steady.
- As a result of the quality management and documentation systems, Iconic is able to quickly respond to requests from clients and able to remove roadblocks to documentation processes on large projects.
- Client satisfaction scores are the highest they’ve ever been.
- Iconic has expanded! Calgary head office has expanded, an Edmonton office has been opened, and expansion into Ontario is on the horizon. Additionally, Iconic now has a civil contracting division and a distribution division.