The Diverse Group of Companies is a full-service property developer based out of Abbotsford, British Columbia. With 10 years of service to the Fraser Valley and BC Interior and decades of combined development experience among the leadership, Diverse was rapidly expanding after a series of valuable land acquisitions. With an ambitious senior management team, Diverse was looking to expand its share of the market in the Fraser Valley and BC Interior through increased vertical integration and expansion of its service offerings.
Diverse engaged Bellrock for two-day off-site strategic planning in the spring of 2018. The leadership’s goals were to:
- Clarify sales, financial, and operational goals for the next 5 years
- Define roles for all staff including the leadership team
- Identify areas where more robust systems and procedures could help the business continue to thrive
Diverse built a plan that was grounded in their strongly shared core values. Visioning the next 5 years, the leadership team built a set of goals and tactics to achieve their strategy.
To reach their goals, Diverse sought Bellrock’s expertise in continued planning and the implementation of new systems. Bellrock helped Diverse:
- Document each step in the development and construction process and identify critical improvement areas as well as areas lacking documentation.
- Implement a standardized documentation system to capture in-house knowledge for easier training and to help define the “Diverse” way.
- Create job descriptions for all staff as well as a way to measure performance against the descriptions.
- Build a dashboard to measure what matters and allow the leadership to keep abreast of their company’s most important metrics.
- Hold the leadership accountable to their goals and respond to changes through continued quarterly strategic planning sessions
Results – 1 Year Later
- Revenue increased 40% and profit increased 43% year over year.
- This growth allowed for an office expansion and staff increase from 29 to 50 people. Leadership noted that the continued use of written procedures have greatly aided them in attracting and retaining great staff.
- All staff have job descriptions and a regular performance evaluation system is in place.
- Ongoing strategic planning has allowed the leadership to continually assess their goals and core values, as well as keep on track to achieving their strategy.
- In fall 2019 Diverse entered 20 leaders and managers into Bellrock’s Management Foundations program.