Management Foundations Training Program
Who you are
You are someone who is currently, or will be, leading and managing people. You are eager to learn and want to become more effective at managing your direct reports. You have an open mind and are willing to try new things. Our Management Foundations training program is applicable to people from every industry and at all levels.
What is the format?
- Eight, 3-hour classroom sessions delivered over Zoom covering the core modules of effective management. See the course modules
- Eight, 1-hour 1-on-1 customized training sessions delivered over Zoom.
- Pre-work case studies from real world situations that help you learn and apply techniques in your environment.
What makes this program unique?
We go beyond just theory and the classroom by helping participants implement what they learn and build capacity in their organization. During our 1-on-1 training sessions, individuals learn how to overcome their specific management challenges so that the results stick.
What are the dates for Management Foundations?
Winter 2021: Eight sessions starting January 2021, fourth Tuesday of each month 9am – noon PST. Accepting registrations now
- January 26: Introduction to Management
- February 23: Recruiting Top Talent: The Manager’s Role in the Recruiting Process
- March 23: Managing Employee Performance
- April 27: Setting Expectations and Delegation
- May 25: Finance for Non-Finance Managers
- June 22: Managing Company Performance
- July 27: Motivation
- August 24: Developing People
Fall 2020: Eight sessions starting September 2020. COURSE FULL
- September 15: Introduction to Management
- October 20: Recruiting Top Talent: The Manager’s Role in the Recruiting Process
- November 17: Managing Employee Performance
- December 15: Setting Expectations and Delegation
- January 19: Finance for Non-Finance Managers
- February 16: Managing Company Performance
- March 16: Motivation
- April 20: Developing People
What does Management Foundations cost?
$3,995 + GST per participant.
Is financial assistance possible?
Yes! Many businesses are eligible for financial assistance via the B.C. Employer Training Grant program (BC ETG). Under their Workforce Training Stream, eligible employers may receive up to 60% of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $5,000 per participant. Please contact us for more details.
Do you offer an advanced program?
Yes, next dates are May 2021 and September 2021. Please see our Advanced Management training program.
You can bundle Management Foundations and Advanced Management to make it a full year of remarkable classroom instruction and 1:1 training. Registering for both as a bundle makes it easier if you are applying for grant funding or if you want to guarantee your space in the Advanced program.
|Management Foundations + Advanced Management
|1:1 Training Sessions||8||4||12|
|Total Training Hours||32||16||48|
|Program Duration||8 months||4 months||12 months|
|Total Program Cost||$3,995 + GST / participant||$1,995 + GST / participant||$5,990 + GST / participant|
Who are the instructors?
- Tara Landes is the Founder and President of Bellrock Benchmarking. She earned her MBA from the Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario.
- Gabriel Dhahan is a Manager and Consultant at Bellrock Benchmarking. He earned his MBA from Royal Roads University and the Family Enterprise Advisor (FEA) designation from Family Enterprise Xchange.
- Adam Holcombe is a Manager and Consultant at Bellrock Benchmarking. He earned his MBA from the Beedie School of Business at Simon Fraser University.
- Anna Migicovsky is a Consultant at Bellrock Benchmarking. She earned her MBA from the Beedie School of Business at Simon Fraser University.
Where will classes be held?
Classes are held via Zoom. Further details are released prior to the first class.
Contact us about custom locations and times for your company.
What others are saying
Our Management Foundations training program consists of the following modules:
- Introduction to Management – This module introduces participants to the art and science of management and identifies the key skills that managers need to be successful.
Concepts covered: Management vs. leadership, model for managing, change matrix, power models, foundational systems, and strategic planning.
- Recruiting Top Talent: The Manager’s Role in the Recruiting Process – A bad hire can cost a company from between 3-10x that employee’s salary in lost time, training and opportunity cost. This module teaches participants how to effectively recruit participants and onboard them so that they are productive in the shortest amount of time.
Concepts covered: Manager vs. HR duties in hiring, hiring for strengths, ideal team player, interview best practices, internal vs. external candidates, and administrative vs. effectiveness onboarding.
- Managing Employee Performance – Participants dive deeper into effectiveness onboarding that allows new hires to become productive quickly while maintaining motivation. The performance evaluation process is taught and specific methodology developed. In addition, progressive discipline and the managers’ role in offboarding is covered.
Concepts Covered: Effectiveness onboarding, performance evaluation systems, progressive discipline, and offboarding.
- Setting Expectations and Delegation – This module teaches participants communication best practices for them to work through their staff to get things done. This includes not just setting expectations, but also the feedback and follow-through needed to achieve the desired results.
Concepts covered: Expectation setting best practices, stretch goals, SMART goal setting, verbal upfront contracts, CPQQRT Q3, and 1-on-1 meetings.
- Finance for Non-Finance Managers – This module teaches participants how to draw insights from financial statements and use them to make informed decisions. It is suitable for audiences of all experience levels. We assume no prior knowledge and build up skills over the course of the class. The language of finance will be explained, and simple statements will be created to demonstrate how to use the concepts.
Concepts covered: Balance sheet, income statement, cash flow forecast, budgets, and how to analyze company performance.
- Managing Company Performance – Participants will understand how Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) shape performance. Common KPIs will be explored, the concept of leading and lagging indicators will be covered, as will best practices in implementing these measurement systems.
Concepts covered: Function accountability chart, KPIs, and dashboards.
- Motivation – Studies show that in about 85% of companies, employees’ morale sharply declines after their first six months – and continues to deteriorate for years afterward. This module teaches participants what they can do to prevent that decline and keep their employees engaged and motivated.
Concepts covered: Model for motivation, capitalizing on strengths, managing around weaknesses, giving praise, self-motivation, ARCTIC, and managing different responses to expectations.
- Developing People – This module teaches participants how to develop staff in a way that lets them define a career that fits the needs of both the company and the staff member. Companies can increase retention and focus their training budgets on areas that will have the greatest impact.
Concepts covered: Coaching and mentoring, effective relationships, educational development, career pathing, improving engagement, succession planning, and developing managers into leaders.
Advanced Training Modules
Our Advanced Management training program takes managers to the next level with additional content for those looking to deepen their leadership and managerial expertise. It consists of the following modules (and can be taken immediately following Management Foundations as part of a bundle):
- Tough Talk: How to Have the Conversations You’ve Been Avoiding – Participants will learn to identify when tough talk is necessary, how to prepare for tough conversations, and practice the art of better communication. They will know how to create a safe environment for communication to unfold and develop an action plan to deal with their toughest roadblocks. They will also learn how to coach others to address the roadblocks in their way and create an environment of direct, non-personal feedback.
Concepts Covered: Identification of tough talk situations, using KIND (kind, intentional, non-threatening, but direct) communication, personal styles, establishing personal goals, controlling emotions, and communication escalation.
- Meeting Rhythms – Participants will understand why meetings are simultaneously the most vivified management tool and the most efficient form of communication when done well. Learn how to facilitate constructive participation and get the most from any meeting.
Concepts Covered: Strategic vs. tactical meetings, huddles, departmental meetings, setting agendas, the role of leader and chair, and setting ground rules.
- Managing Yourself and Managing Up – Participants will discover how to absorb feedback in healthy ways, their personal styles of receiving feedback, working in teams, learning styles, and how to explain these traits to others. Also, when and how to ask for help. They will also sleuth out boss’ tendencies and how to manage up.
Concepts Covered: Introversion / extroversion, strengths and weaknesses, communication styles, and sharing methodology.
- Leading Change – Participants will learn about the manager’s role in creating understanding, addressing WIIFM, education, ability, and reinforcement of any change initiative.
Concepts Covered: Change communication best practices, common implementation roadblocks, how to motivate individuals toward change, and training best practices.
Private Company Training
Private company training is ideal for companies that would like the training delivered to their company only or would like to customize the curriculum. They must have ten or more employees that wish to participate in the program. Courses can be held via Zoom, at Bellrock facilities, or at client offices.
If this sounds like something you might be interested in, call 604-345-0424 or email [email protected].