Victoria Management Foundations Training Program
Who you are
You are someone who is currently, or will be, leading and managing people. You are eager to learn and want to become more effective in your role and with your direct reports. You have an open mind and are willing to try new things. Our Management Foundations training program is applicable to people from every industry and at all levels, and is well suited for family enterprises and small businesses in Greater Victoria.
What is the format?
- Six, 3-hour classroom sessions covering the core modules of effective management. See the course modules
- Six, 1-hour one-on-one customized training sessions.
- Pre-work case studies from real world situations that help you learn and apply techniques in your environment.
- Optional modules for those needing training on recruiting, onboarding, and other HR practices.
What makes this program unique?
We go beyond just theory and the classroom by helping participants implement what they learn and build capacity in their organization. During our one-on-one training sessions, individuals learn how to overcome their specific leadership and management challenges so that the results stick.
What are the dates for Management Foundations?
Victoria Winter 2020: Six sessions starting January 2020. Accepting pre-registrations now.
- January 21: Introduction to Management
- February 18: Setting Expectations and Delegation
- March 17: Finance for Non-Finance Managers
- April 21: Managing Company Performance
- May 19: Motivation
- June 16: Developing People
What about recruiting, onboarding, and other HR practices?
For those interested in learning about recruiting, onboarding, performance evaluations, and other HR practices, we offer the following two modules as add-ons:
- Recruiting Top Talent: The Manager’s Role in the Recruiting Process
- Managing Employee Performance: Effectiveness Onboarding, Performance Evaluations, and other HR practices
Please see the Training Modules section for more detail on this content or contact us to add these modules to your training.
What does Management Foundations cost?
$2,995 + GST per participant.
Additional modules (e.g. Recruiting Top Talent and Managing Employee Performance) are $495 + GST each per participant and are recommended as a bundle.
Who are the instructors?
- Gabriel Dhahan is a Manager and Consultant with Bellrock Benchmarking. He earned his MBA from Royal Roads University and the Family Enterprise Advisor (FEA) designation from Family Enterprise Xchange.
- Tara Landes is the Founder and President of Bellrock Benchmarking. She earned her MBA from the Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario.
- Adam Holcombe is a Manager and Consultant at Bellrock Benchmarking. He earned his MBA from the Beedie School of Business at Simon Fraser University.
- Anna Migicovsky is a Consultant at Bellrock Benchmarking. She earned her MBA from the Beedie School of Business at Simon Fraser University.
Where will classes be held?
Classes will be held at the Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour (850 Blanshard St. Victoria, BC V8W 2H2). Room details will be released prior to the first class.
Contact us about custom locations and times for your private company training.
Is financial assistance possible?
Yes! Most businesses are eligible for financial assistance. Please contact us ([email protected]) for more details.
What others are saying
Our Victoria-based Management Foundations training program consists of the following modules:
- Introduction to Management – This module introduces participants to the art and science of management, identifies the key skills that managers need to be successful, and provides an overview of what makes managing unique in family enterprise and small business environments.
Concepts covered: Management vs. leadership, model for managing, change matrix, power models, foundational systems, and strategic planning.
- Setting Expectations and Delegation – This module teaches participants communication best practices for them to work through their staff to get things done. This includes not just setting expectations, but also the feedback and follow-through needed to achieve the desired results.
Concepts covered: Expectation setting best practices, stretch goals, SMART goal setting, verbal upfront contracts, CPQQRT Q3, and 1-on-1 meetings.
- Finance for Non-Finance Managers – This module teaches participants how to draw insights from financial statements and use them to make informed decisions. It is suitable for audiences of all experience levels. We assume no prior knowledge and build up skills over the course of the class. The language of finance will be explained, and simple statements will be created to demonstrate how to use the concepts.
Concepts covered: Balance sheet, income statement, cash flow forecast, budgets, and how to analyze company performance.
- Managing Company Performance – Participants will understand how Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) shape performance. Common KPIs will be explored, the concept of leading and lagging indicators will be covered, as will best practices in implementing these measurement systems.
Concepts covered: Function accountability chart, KPIs, and dashboards.
- Motivation – Studies show that in about 85% of companies, employees’ morale sharply declines after their first six months – and continues to deteriorate for years afterward. This module teaches participants what they can do to prevent that decline and keep their employees engaged and motivated.
Concepts covered: Model for motivation, capitalizing on strengths, managing around weaknesses, giving praise, self-motivation, ARCTIC, and managing different responses to expectations.
- Developing People – This module teaches participants how to develop staff in a way that lets them define a career that fits the needs of both the company and the staff member. Companies can increase retention and focus their training budgets on areas that will have the greatest impact.
Concepts covered: Coaching and mentoring, effective relationships, educational development, career pathing, improving engagement, succession planning, and developing managers into leaders.
Offered separately. Please inquire if interested:
- Recruiting Top Talent: The Manager’s Role in the Recruiting Process – A bad hire can cost a company from between 3-10x that employee’s salary in lost time, training and opportunity cost. This module teaches participants how to effectively recruit participants and onboard them so that they are productive in the shortest amount of time.
Concepts covered: Manager vs. HR duties in hiring, hiring for strengths, ideal team player, interview best practices, internal vs. external candidates, and administrative vs. effectiveness onboarding.
- Managing Employee Performance – Participants dive deeper into effectiveness onboarding that allows new hires to become productive quickly while maintaining motivation. The performance evaluation process is taught and specific methodology developed. In addition, progressive discipline and the managers’ role in offboarding is covered.
Concepts Covered: Effectiveness onboarding, performance evaluation systems, progressive discipline, and offboarding.
Private Company Training
Private company training is ideal for companies that would like the training delivered to their company only or would like to customize the curriculum. They must have ten or more employees that wish to participate in the program. Courses can be held at Bellrock or client facilities.
If this sounds like something you might be interested in, call 778-683-1926 or email [email protected].